Monday, February 2, 2009

A Treatise on Plural Possession

If you know me very well at all, you know that very few things really irritate me. I'm a pretty easygoing girl. However, bear with me while I harp on one thing that is truly a grit in my oyster. ;)

I'm not sure where the elementary educational system goes wrong in teaching plural possession, but its misuse is viral and is sweeping the nation at an alarming pace with no regard for age, rank, or degree. Everywhere I turn I keep running into poor, pitiful misplaced apostrophes who just want to show that they belong to someone.

A friendly reminder...

My apartment is Stefanie Kellum's apartment.
My family's house is the Kellums' house.
Our Christmas cards will wish you a very Merry Christmas from the Kellums...NOT the Kellum's (*shiver*)

Respect the apostrophe. Let it do its job.

You can't say I'm not passionate about the correct usage of the English language...haha! Don't even get me started on the final comma in a series...crazy journalists!!!

This soap box presentation of Grammar Lessons from Stefanie is brought to you by the letter "s." ;)

1 comment:

Kathryn Taylor said...

You are stinkin' brave to put punctuation rules on your blog. I love it, but I know how much it annoys others's :) (that last word was for you).